Prescription Drug Discussion Forums  

Go Back   Prescription Drug Discussion Forums > Medication Discussions > Specific Drug Discussions > Singulair

Notices

Old 05-25-2005, 05:00 AM
Concerned Mother

Default No Subject

I have a 10 month old son, he's had breathing problems since the age of 2 months. He's still too young to test for asthma, allergies... yet he's been hospitalized twice with RSV (respiratory synctial virus) in which the doctor put him on steroids and breathing treatments every 4 hours. Each hospitalization resulted in a 1 week stay, in which I was sent home with a nebulizer to continue treatments. It's been 6 months without any major symptoms and now he's at it again. It seems to be in sync with the weather changes. He's now back on Orapred 2x a day and xopenex (used with nebulizer) every 4 hours. His doctor stated to me that he wants to put my son on Singulair as soon as he overcomes this 'episode' as a preventative measure. I've been researching the internet and this medication has just recently been approved for children 12 months of age (my son is 10 months old). I'm worried about the possible side effects, some that are mentioned here, and with my son's age.. he isn't able to tell me of any symptoms he may experience with this medication. My question is.. are there any parents out there with children the age of my son, or thereabouts, who have tried this medication... and if so, how was the outcome. I'm a concerned mother, who doesnt want to see my son hospitalized again and on medications the rest of the season... but I also dont want to risk giving him a preventative medication that may cause other problems as well. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:54 PM
Unregistered

Default No Subject

My daughter is four and was put on Singulair for allergies when she was just over two. She had a chronic runny nose and chronic cough. The Singulair seemed to help with those symptoms. She still gets an occasional cold which hits her hard (she is currently on an oral steroid and zithromax after battling a cold for a month). Having said that, I describe her as "tough". She is moody, sometimes aggressive, sensitive, overly emotional, and always seems tired. I started to research if her tiredness could be because of the Singulair and found many of her tough personality traits sounded like some side effects other people were having. I'm very upset that I never put this together before and want to take her off this immediately but my doctor would like me to wait until she gets past this terrible cough. We just thought we were going through the terrible two's or that this is just who she is. But, I'm very anxious to find out, though I am worried about the allergy season approaching.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:19 PM

We went through the same thing with our son who took Singulair for 5 years for asthma. When we found out the adverse reactions had been updated, we realized that he had been suffering from them from the time he started taking Singulair at age 3! Please visit us at www.parentsforsafety.org. We are a group of concerned parents committed to educating others about the possible side effects of this drug. We are conducting research and advocating for labeling changes and other reforms. Please help!