Prescription Drug Discussion Forums  

Go Back   Prescription Drug Discussion Forums > Medication Discussions > Specific Drug Discussions > Avelox

Notices

Old 05-12-2008, 06:44 PM
Angie

Default Tendonitis from Avelox

I was prescribed Avelox last year -- April/May of 2007. I was given 20 days worth. At the time, I was so sick from a serious sinus infection that I didn't notice really anything out of the ordinary as far as tendon pain -- I assumed it was part of my sickness/flu symptoms. After the sinus infection cleared, I noticed my right wrist, left middle knuckle, right elbow, right middle knuckle on my middle toe, right ankle and my left knee -- all having symptoms of swollen and sore. I couldn't hardly hold a gallon of milk in my right hand without extreme pain in my elbow. I then got on the internet and found this site and others that had information relating to Avelox and tendonitis. I read that taking asprin or ibuprofen and waiting it out would probably be the thing to do. Taking prednisone just brings on other side effects. It damages the liver, and suppresses the immune system. I was unwilling to start taking drug after drug to treat side effects. I have waited nearly a year, and found that the tendonitis has not gone away. It has got much better, and from time to time I hardly notice it (except for my right elbow and wrist). It is alway hurting and I suppose it is because I am right handed and use it more often. Just to sit here and type, my wrist really is sore... and to carry the gallon of milk, I have to use my left hand to support the bottom of it because my elbow is just too weak. <br><br>Does anyone know if these symptoms will ever go away? I am going to start taking some Glucosamine/Chondroitin in hopes of rebuilding the cartilage/tendon areas.<br><br>Please give me any info that will help. Is there any lawsuits over this? It seems that if I have been affected this much, there must be others, and depending on your lifestyle, job etc... this could be devistating.<br><br>Thank you,<br><br>Angie
Old 07-09-2008, 06:22 PM

Default Tendonitis and Avelox

By now you may have seen that the news about this class of antibiotics causing severe tendonitis. I have been suffering with my left elbow tendonitis for 6 months now ( no known reason and I am RIGHT handed ). When I saw the news about Avelox, it has made more sense! I am allergic to many meds and Avelox is the ONLY antibiotic I have taken in the past 4 years!!! SUCKS!!!!
Old 01-07-2009, 05:02 AM

Default Avelox + You = Tendonitis & You

Seems that I'm not the only person to suffer from the side effects of Avelox

I've taken this drug twice, once in January '08 and another time in June '08 to fight my terrible sinus infections. It was the first antibiotic that I've taken that worked incredibly well within the first day of taking it. I didn't have any side effects that I knew of at the time of taking it.

Fast forward a few months to August '08; After working out, I felt an incredible pain in both my achilles. Turns out I had tendonitis to the point where a few had ruptured. At that time, I thought it from doing my daily running, which was only 1.5-2 miles. It never occurred to me that Avelox medication could be the cause of the tendonitis....That was until I talked to primary physician.

Today I went in for a consultation to get antibiotics to combat another sinus infection. It was then that he told me Avelox has been given a black-box warning because it can cause sudden tendon ruptures soon or months after taking it. Had I known what I know now, I would have stuck with my typically antibiotics.

Lesson from my experience - avoid Avelox if you treasure your tendons

Last edited by JWatson; 01-07-2009 at 05:15 AM.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:42 PM

I just took Avelox for the first time a week ago. I work in the medical field and know to read the information that comes with it. I swear it never mentioned this as a side effect. I was given samples so didn't have a nice printout from the pharmacy. I suppose I was just feeling too miserable to catch it.

Anyway, I took it three days before I made the connection that the pain in my ankle was related to the medication. I'm so irritated with myself for not reading up on it before I took it. I have taken Levaquin in the past without incident.

Anyway, it got my Achilles. I know it has not completely ruptured, whether it has partially or not I'm not sure. What I'd like to know is if anyone has any advice on what to do to help it as it still hurts a fair amount. How long should it go on? When can I get back to exercising/walking? I'm going crazy being this sedentary. I won't have full insurance coverage until April 1 and would like to avoid an expensive MD visit if all possible and look forward to hearing what worked for yall.

thanks!
Old 08-04-2009, 10:26 PM

Default Tendonitis and Avelox

I was given Avelox in February for pneumonia. Shortly after taking Avelox my right upper arm became inflamed for no apparent reason. I could not associate any activity with the injury. It was inflamed for about two weeks. Neither heat nor ice helped. It is better, but still painful five months later. I knew it was the tendon when it started snapping. The snapping sound is audible. I also experienced pain in both my upper thighs, heels and thumbs. My left arm also has some pain now that I am relying on it more. I had taken Cipro several times over the last five years, but did not have any problems of this severity until I took the Avelox. I don't know if the effect was caused by a combination of both, or just the Avelox. I found out about the tendon problems associated with these drugs from a co-worker, who was prescribed Cipro after a knee operation, and would not take the drug.

I went to the Dr. today due to a bladder infection and saw a Physician's Assistant. I talked to him about the problems with my tendons, and told him I did not want Cipro or any drug in that classification. He did not seem too concerned about the problems with my tendons, other than placing a warning in my chart not to prescribe me any drugs in the Cipro/Avelox group. Since he was not my regular Dr. I plan to schedule a visit with my Dr. soon.

Last weekend I made some bone broth and have been drinking some daily. Based on research on the Internet it is helpful for tendon problems. It is time consuming to make, but it is suppose to be better than supplements. Hope it helps. I will post back in a couple of weeks and let you know.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:03 AM

My God, this stuff is poison!

Just one week ago I was a relatively healthy 32-yo in the middle of a series of Avelox and dexamethasone. I say "relatively" because I had (and still have) a nasty bronchial infection that has persisted for a while. But still, I was not too terribly off.

After about a week on Avelox, I was pushing a shopping cart when one of my ankles went rather painful, like I'd wrenched it. Okay, a little weird but not worrisome. Until the next morning, that is. By mid-morning I could barely walk. Both achilles tendons were in pain. And then the pain started in my knees.

Joint pain has gradually taken over my whole body. My hips, my back are in pain now. I unplugged a computer from the wall the other day and my entire right arm from the should to the wrist felt like I'd slapped the whole thing -- and it still does. My left elbow and wrist are the last to go, and they're going now. Typing is getting harder. I try very hard not to walk except to the bathroom. Stairs are excruciating.

I've read and read of accounts of this happening to people who have taken this horrible medicine, and I've seen almost no accounts of recovery. People who took this once and seven to ten years later still can't walk. I'm scared to death at this point! I read one account of a 35-yo self-employed man whose avelox has made him wheelchair bound. I'm determined to get well. I can't live like this!

I stopped taking the avelox last week. The pain has not subsided and in fact has continued to increase.

The only good news I've seen so far was someone who took "chelated magnesium" and claimed that it worked. I've started on this, 400 mg for a first dose and I'm going to take 200 mg three times daily thereafter.

Joint pain isn't all. I've gotten horribly bloated. According to the scale at my doctor's office I haven't gained any weight, but my pants simply do not fit the way they did only a week ago. I measured that I've gained about 2 inches around my midsection in the past couple of days. I'm taking a round of probiotics and hoping that this will help. One of my theories is that the joint pain might have something to do with water retention on the joints as well as the stomach, and that changing my diet to include a lot more high diuretic foods like garlic, apple cider vinegar, unsweetened cranberry juice (eww!) will help leach out the excess fluid and alleviate pain.

In case that theory is wrong and there's nastier damage to tendons and ligaments, here's what I've come up with:

Tendons and cartilage have few blood vessels and relatively poor circulation, which is part of why they heal so slowly, or sometimes not at all.

Another reason they seem to heal not at all is that referred pain causes muscle spasms, which re-triggers the original injury.

Suppressing the pain via NSAIDs, steroids, or painkillers is counterproductive because without the inflammation, the body's natural healing response is not triggered at all. Inflammation leads to "granular tissue formation", which is a good thing. Suppress the good thing and well... no tendon repair.

Yet another reason is that a typical modern diet includes little in the way of collagen and connective tissue. We don't make bone stocks anymore. I'm going to try to get someone to make a big batch for me -- I think cooking is quite beyond me at present.

More: there's a kind of medicine called "prolotherapy" that purports to repair connective tissues. Unfortunately it's pretty rare -- there's only one practitioner listed in my state and he's hours away. I'm just hoping my insurance will cover him. Basically, they inject a solution of "sodium morrhuate" into the damaged tissues, which stimulates a non-scarred tissue rebuild.

I'm going to hopefully get some progress out of this and post it back.

The doctors also had me on Levaquin prior to the avelox. They're in the same family of antibiotics, apparently, and can cause the same set of side effects.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:09 AM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmilligan View Post
My God, this stuff is poison!

I'm going to hopefully get some progress out of this and post it back.
Hi Bill,

I am in a similar situation. Please let me know how you have been feeling since?

Thanks
Old 01-19-2011, 06:02 PM

Default Help From Avelox

I'm experiencing the problems you have all developed... stopped taking it two weeks ago. Can some of you PLEASE email me with suggestions for what supplements to take THAT HAVE WORKED FOR YOU!!!

My symptoms - tendons in legs / arms and SEVERE weakness in my legs - I CAN NOT RUN 10 feet or walk down stairs w/ out holding on to the railing heavily!!
Old 08-27-2012, 06:01 AM

Post List as Allergy

Last year I spiked a temp up to 102 and started shaking. I recently been taken off chemotherapy due to clots in the lungs, so I had been pretty sick. My chemotherapy consisted of Taxol and an injection of steroid. I took the Avelox for a weekend in lieu of cipro, as cipro causes me no end of nausea. I'm not sure when it happened, I just remember feeling awful, like I had the flu on top of this infection and every single joint and tendon in my body hurt, from my jaws to the knuckles at the big toes. I remember sitting at a restaurant looking at the one pound ketchup container on the table and not being able to lift it without massive pain. I had to use my left hand to steady it. Climbing stairs was also so bad that I had to get someone to come over to take my dog down two flights of steps for her walk. Slowly, very slowly, most of the tendonitis went away. However, neither elbow has ever healed and I believe to be getting worse, especially when I go to sleep and don't move them. I have had good luck in the past with local injections of steroids right into other chronically inflamed tendons. I have an excellent ortho doctor who knows what he is doing and I may explore this option, and it may be one for you. Local injections use much smaller doses to be effective and those they are very likely not to cause systemic problems as you might get if you were taking oral or IV steroids.

I list Avelox as an allergy now, and explain that it causes tendon pain. Medical professionals know this is a serious adverse reaction and will use this class of drugs carefully in the future.

Good luck.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:26 PM

Same type of effect from Avelox in my right knee. Doctor pretty much ignored that I had taken Avelox. Sent me to physical therapy - seems to be making symptoms worse. I turned down steroid injection. Don't know what to do now.